Monday, August 13, 2007

Who do you choose: Friend or SO?

No one likes to choose between friends and a significant other. Although most people try to avoid this situation at all costs, if you're with someone long enough, it's bound to happen.

Take this example, which happened to one of my friends last year. Both one of her friends and a guy she was dating shared the same time they were to celebrate their birthdays. The two had separate parties planned in separate cities, so the option of going to both or combining parties was not available. For my friend, the answer was a no brainer: celebrate with the friend at her party and then with the guy later. She also hadn't been seeing the guy very long, so that probably eased her decision making process.

I always have been big on compromise. I hate letting anyone down, so I try to look at a way to please everyone at one time. Can I split my time equally between the friends and significant other? Can the significant other hang out with my friends and then the two of us do something special together later? Unfortunately, sometimes in trying to please everyone, you please no one, and everyone ends up mad or hurt instead of happy.

Have you ever been forced to choose between a friend and a significant other? What did you do? How would you feel if your significant other chose a friend over you? How would you feel if your friend chose a significant other over you? Does it matter how long a couple has been dating when it comes to choosing between friends and a SO? Is it always one way or the other?

9 comments:

BeckiLG said...

If I can't incorporate the SO, I'm most likely going to choose my friends. They'll always be around, the guys come and go.

When in doubt though, my general approach is to stick with the plans I committed to first.

Anonymous said...

I like Liza's topics ....

Anonymous said...

Liza had one topic...get over it.

But I do think this blog has already talked about friends vs. SOs....

Anonymous said...

It depends on the situation. There are some events where your partner should encourage you to go alone and not be surprised or upset if you don't invite them, especially if it's a girl's only or guy's only night. If it's a mixed crowd, then it's fine to bring that special person. We both have been in situations where we were at events and did a pretty decent job of socializing with our friends but still having a good time with eachother. You certainly don't want to be "that couple" hugged up in a corner all night ignoring your friends. Ick. By the way, I like this topic just fine, and didn't Liza just blog only once? What do you have against Raven and Rose anonymous? I have a feeling your the same person always having something negative to say... I'm noticing a pattern, that's all.

Anonymous said...

Just chill people !! This is just a small blog from Macon, Ga.

Anonymous said...

I like to think of it as reaching all corners of the world, but whatever :-P

Anonymous said...

Rose, you're right. I'm a good example ;)
Greetings from somwhere in Europe...

Anonymous said...

Yeah, whatever.

Anonymous said...

"Somewhere" in Europe????? I seriously doubt it.