Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Is that gift a little too much?

When you first dating, flowers and other small trinkets are considered customary. They are considered a small token of one's affection.

However, I have witnessed friends get far more extravagant gifts when you they first started dating. In one instance, a friend received a diamond bracelet by the third date. In another instance, a guy purchased a friend furniture within the first month of dating. One other friend got a trip to the Caribbean. And, to throw in some equal opportunity, I've known a guy who received a car from a woman he dated for two months.

I'll admit those gifts are nice, but I don't think they are warranted in those first few months of dating. One of the best parts of dating is progressing with your emotions and symbols of those emotions. If a person purchases you a diamond bracelet by your third date, where does he go from there? Also, I wouldn't view the gift as having the same sincerity as if it was given to me somewhere down the line where the guy actually knew me. From observing my friends, the guys didn't stick around for more than a year, and yes, most of them took the gifts with them.

Is there a time when you are first dating where you think it is o.k. to accept such gifts? What would you think of someone who gave you such gifts early on?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Where are these men? I can't even get a happy meal!!