Friday, August 10, 2007

Flowers ... or something else

Rose and Raven are out, so guest blogger Liza is filling in today.

From the time we're little girls, we're taught that when a boy likes a girl, he gives her flowers.

Later - in many guys' minds - that translates to just about any occasion. It's an anniversary - get her flowers. Valentine's Day - code for flower day. When the guy screws up - flowers should do the trick. But are flowers always a guy's best choice? I say no.

This week, a guy I'm dating wanted to show me he cared. So his plan apparently had been to send me flowers. But then he threw convention out the window. He knew I'd had a tough, busy weekend, and by Sunday night wasn't feeling great. He also knew I planned to do yardwork - in the 100 degree heat - for a few hours after work Monday. I told him my grass and weeds could no longer be ignored.

The next day, he surpised me by driving 45 minutes to spend a few hours mowing my yard, pulling weeds, blowing the driveway, etc. He called and told me to rest, relax and take time for myself after work. I did - and I thought of him. And for the last few days, each time I walk in my yard I smile a little. Just like I would with flowers.

He said he'd decided to take care of my yard instead of sending flowers that day, and that he hoped he'd made the right choice. I assured him he did - this time anyway!

So am I alone? Can gestures like this be better than flowers? Or am I just too practical for my own good?

By Liza

7 comments:

BeckiLG said...

Gestures like that are FAR better than flowers! I never have really enjoyed receiving flowers- they die. I'm not all that thrilled with having them on display either (especially now that my cat would just eat them). The smell really doesn't do anything for me. A meaningful gesture means much more in the long run!

Anonymous said...

Liza,
You are like a breath of fresh air : ) This blog needs someone to give it life and a great start is with "flowers" !

Anonymous said...

Things like that show a man cares. And when you've been married for quite a few years, if your man still does practical things for you and makes you feel relaxed by taking care of something as overwhelming sometimes as housework is etc... that's priceless.
Good blog.

Anonymous said...

I was 35 years old, newly divorced and living on Ingleside Avenue during the Cherry Blossom Festival. A gentleman I was dating made a comment one evening that hurt my feelings. Knowing how much I wanted my yard to look nice for the visitors going up and down Ingleside, he had 25 bales of pinestraw delivered to my house and drove up in his jeans to put the straw out himself! Now how could a girl stay mad after that?

Anonymous said...

Thanks for filling in, Liza!

Gestures are great, but I still like flowers, too. Basically anything that says, "I care," works for me!

Anonymous said...

i personally CANNOT stand flowers. they die & they smell. i would rather a guy buy me a bag of peanut butter cups than spend money on flowers. and flowers are so cliche now-a-days anyway. they're like the the most generic, i'm not going to put any real thought into this so i'll just get her this grocery store bouquet.

Anonymous said...

It's more than just getting flowers - it's getting the RIGHT flowers. Some that show he put some thought into it, and didn't just drop by the flower aisle at WalMart.
My husband gets me the same kind of flowers each year on the day our son was conceived, and believe me, it means a lot.