Thursday, August 16, 2007

Are you ready for some football?

It's that time of year where guys are creating their fantasy football teams and readying their spot to watch hours upon hours of the intense sporting event known as football.

Luckily for us, this mistress only comes around once a year, but boy does she make her presence known, taking up whole weekends and a large portion of your guy's attention. This can get somewhat annoying if you're not into sports.

My friend's boyfriend is one of the biggest sports fanatics I've ever met, so she has offered up some tips. Here are some of the finer points:

1) Don't call during the game, especially when his favorite team is playing.

2) Don't tell him his favorite team sucks no matter what the truth is.

3) Don't make fun of the fact that a favorite player has pending criminal charges.

4) When his team loses, don't call him. Just wait for him to call you.

5) An half-time phone call from him indicates that he is truly in love, even if he hangs up immediately when the game comes back on.

6) Fueling him with food and drinks during the game can only improve your position.

Here are a few that I would like to add:

7) While he's watching the game, it's a perfect time for girls' day out or things that he doesn't enjoy. Do something that you want to do.

8) If he takes you to a game, you may want to ask any questions before or after the game. Asking them during the game can become irritating.

9) NEVER root for the rival team of his favorite team in front of him, especially if his team is losing.

10) Finally, this only lasts for a few months out of the year, so sit back and let him enjoy!

How do you cope with the onset of football season?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

As a girl AND a football freak, I can relate in the opposite way. My bf is not into sports. He will watch it if there are playoffs but he doesn't want to plan his day around it. My brother lives in Atlanta and gets all of the games, so I drive the 2 1/2 hours each Sunday one way to watch my favorite team, which happens to NOT be the Falcons or any other team in the SE. If the sports thing really bothers you, you can always find some guy who isn't, like my bf. But watch out, being addicted to online video games are more time consuming than fantasy football...

BeckiLG said...

I already warned the guys in my life that when football season starts, I will have even less time for them. Go figure I am dating fans of rival teams. This could end badly!

Anonymous said...

These tips are so great! My BF is addicted to football while I couldn't give a flying crap about it. I wonder if we are going to survive the season. He already has been planning and updating his fantasy football roster on paper for months.