Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Dating discouragements

Dating is full of disappointments and discouragements.

There's that guy who told you he loved you then cheated. There's that woman who stomped on your favorite poster as well as your self-esteem. And don't forget about the ex who stole all the money in your wallet -- and your bank account.

After so many burns and heartache, sometimes it seems easier just to give up on dating altogether.

Consider this man's opinion, which was e-mailed to us over the weekend:

A man these days really has to watch his step. Women say in a relationship that doesn't work out [the way they think it should] ... the man was too forward or not forward enough. They say he was too controlling or not into the relationship enough. I'm a divorced guy that goes to work in the mornings and comes directly home after work trying to live without some woman correcting me on what they think that I'm doing wrong in my life. I spend time working on my lawn and try to keep little projects going like the one I'm on now refinishing a table. I really miss having someone to relate to but at 46 years old I'm wondering if I should try anymore.

To this man: Keep trying. You'll get there. The other day at lunch, one of my friends said he considers all women to be crazy and then judges them from there. It's not just you.

Bloggers: What bothers you the most about the opposite sex and dating? What discourages you from jumping back in the dating pool after a tough relationship? Do you have any advice for this man who seems to always be stuck between a rock and a hard place?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

What bothers me most is that the dating pool in Macon is rather shallow. Got any good advice for dealing with that?

Anonymous said...

Advice? Quit, I quit dating many years ago and have not looked back. I am just disgusted at men, the cheaters, liars, abusive, arrogant, etc., etc.

Sure, it is hard to do shopping at Lowes by yourself, lugging huge sheetrock to repair your house is very difficult. But, heck, that pain is less than the sheer pain of finding out that your dear boyfriend has 4 other girlfriends online...

I am farthest from being a feminist, but I must say that all the men I have met have proven over and over again that they are just pigs, liars, cheaters, sobs.

My dear, there ain't anything you can do, you can't change them. Just live wihtout them, it is possible, and it is not bad at all if you can fill your life with true friends, family, and pets.

Broken hearted

Anonymous said...

Alright, I read this blog on a daily basis. I am a guy who will stand up for all the good guys out there. Yes, there are men out there who lie, cheat, break hearts, see how many notches they can get on their belt, etc. But not all guys are like this. I feel that everyone, men and women, is a product of their environment. My father tought me to treat every woman with respect, like I would treat my mother. There are guys out there that have been mistreated by women. We are all in the same boat. My advice is to always be honest, always be yourself, and always communicate your feelings. Let someone fall in love with you for who you are. Never hold anything back because you will eventually blow up, and always tell the truth. Even if you have done something wrong, it is better to talk about it than to lie about it

Anonymous said...

wow, billy, do you have any single friends? and where do the nice guys like you hang out? rose and raven, how about a blog about where to meet guys in macon. i can't seem to find any that aren't in college...

Anonymous said...

I kind of gave up on dating a while back. I haven't been in or pursued a relationship in a long time, largely because of how my last relationship ended. She cheated on me with a guy she assured me was just a friend. Yeah it's lonely a lot of times, but that's easier to deal with than the pain of being cheated on.

Anonymous said...

Macon is a very tough place to find a date for professional 20-30 somethings. Yeah, I've had some bad times dating in the last several years. But give up and write them all off -- never!

Anonymous said...

Funny how I'm so far away from your city and yet I'm having so much fun reading your blogs!
I do know someone from there. It's the type that the anonymous person signing as "brokern hearted" talked about.
Wait! it might be the same guy and all! lol
The internet is such a very strange place.
But don't despair, dear maconites. I'm afraid the situation is like that in Europe too.
Now what will the Chinese think of all this??
Hmm...