Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Missed connections

A smile is exchanged between strangers as they drive past each other on the interstate. A mystery man buys a drink for a pretty lady in a bar and disappears. Two joggers warm up together in a park then go their separate ways.

For most people, a seemingly insignificant smile, impromptu wink or hearty laugh are just little pleasantries between strangers, nothing more, nothing less. But for others, they are missed opportunities to get to know someone better. They are missed connections.

Two summers ago, my roommate at the time introduced me to an addicting aspect of Craig's List, a Web site for posting online classified ads. Alongside the ads for cars for sale and fliers for lost puppies are "missed connections" -- posts from people who met someone meaningful and lost him or her.

From Macon's Craig's list (although Atlanta's is much more popular and has more postings):

I saw you at the Walthall Oil station today on Forsyth Road. You are a tall blonde, filling your Big Gulp and paid just behind me. You were driving a silver Ford Tarus I believe with Monroe County plates. I find you most attractive and would like to talk more.
Missed connections like the one above happen every day to thousands, if not millions, of people. These listings become addicting because they offer a glimmer of hope that two people who missed each other could someday be reunited. They play into our hopes, dreams and visions of romance. Plus, it sure would be a great story to tell the grandkids.

Have you ever had a missed connection with someone? Do you regret not getting to know someone better? Did you do anything to seek that person out? If you found out someone was searching for you, would you contact the person?

2 comments:

BeckiLG said...

I check the missed connections on Craigslist daily just for sake of romanticism. Occasionally there are some that make you melt a little inside, then there are some truly vulgar ones. Either way, entertaining.

If someone felt they missed their chance with me, I'd love to know! I'm sure I'd be pleased to see my own missed connection posted, so long as it didn't fall into the vulgar category.

Anonymous said...

I once told a man that was sitting opposite me on the train that he had the most beautiful face I'd ever seen, and then got off at my stop. Never saw him again.
sigh