Thursday, August 21, 2008

Will they always think they have 'it'?

Today, I was out working on an assignment when an older gentleman decides to tell me about about how he's been trying to find someone to go out with on various dating Web sites. Alas, he hasn't had any luck and had not been on a date since he was 20. He asks me if I know of any better alternatives. I give him a suggestion, then he starts to give me his e-mail address which I ignored. Then he proceeded to tell me how he was turning 61 later this month and wanted someone to take out. By this point, I had realized that I was an object of interest, wished him luck and scurried off.

Then, recently, another friend of mine around my age was approached by a guy in his 40s on a social networking site. That wasn't as bad, but she still was not feeling it.

I remember when I turned 21, my friend warned me about the batch of older men out there who would hit on me since I was legal. I'm beginning to think that number increases exponentially once you hit 25. And frankly, it's rare that I find men who are many years older than me attractive. Nevertheless, it doesn't seem to keep them from trying.

And yet, I would never think to go after a guy who was 21 at 25 and I'm pretty sure I'm not going to try when I'm 40. I doubt we will have much in common. But with guys, it seems that at any age, they think they can get a twenty-something.

So to the guys, why do you have no problem seeking out much younger women? Are there any women out there who seek out the much-older guy?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I personally don't like to date anyone outside of a 5 year radius. I feel that if you are much older than me you will tend to father a dad complex and start talkin down to me as if I'm your child (which has happened on more than 1 occassion). And I've tried the younger thing to equally disastrous consequences (I felt like I was in a National Lampoon Van Wilder or Animal House movie). I feel that if we're not at least in the same age group we will have nothing in common. And If I can't hold a conversation with you, I'm not interested

BeckiLG said...

I'm still trying to convince myself that lusting after a 32 year old (at 24) isn't a bad idea! 40+ is out of the question!

I had a man approach me at work once who was significantly older. I was uncomfortable at work for weeks, even though I rarely worked with him. Older and in the workplace? Definitely a bad plan.

Sharon's New Life said...

My husband is six years older than me, but I was in my 30s when I met him. I think the age difference can get larger with your age... you should enjoy your 20s (or any age for that matter) with men you're comfortable with!
Sharon:)