Friday, August 15, 2008

Getting him to the courthouse

I'm the girl who almost dreads the idea of planning the big, lavish wedding. There, I said it.

I could live without the politics of picking bridesmaids, seating arrangements and the enormous price tag that comes afterwards for an event that lasted no more than a half hour.

For almost as long as I can remember, I have envisioned getting married before some judge in some government building. You're in. You're married. You're out. If you want to celebrate, plan a get-together for later.

However, one of my male friends informed me the other day there's a very good chance I could be dealing with a man who wants the wedding more than I do. After seeing my blank stare, he went on to inform me that some guys need the ceremony to realize that they are committing their life to someone. It could be a much-needed wake-up call, he said. Since the day is also about him, it could be a lot harder to get the nice little courthouse ceremony than I initially anticipated.

So to the guys out there, how important is the wedding ceremony to you? Would you find it off-putting if a woman wanted a much simpler wedding at the courthouse?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

People in the East especially the man who has traditional concept
always think a luxuriant wedding is necessary, it means their daughter married a nice guy.
In China we call 有面子

Anonymous said...

marriage = compromise. if you can't deal, then get out.

Anonymous said...

It's funny that you write this. I was talking with a female friend about this the other day. She said her finance is the one who wants the big wedding, whereas she would have been fine at the courthouse. I still think she's going to have a good time at the wedding, though :)

Pria said...

I've always wanted to elope but now that I'm actually getting married, I've discovered that it means a lot to me to have a (small, intimate) wedding.