Tuesday, August 5, 2008

The biggest lie

Some people would say that in every relationship, some lies must be told.

Yesterday, I watched as a man was surprised with an award and a ceremony by all his colleagues and friends and family. While he enjoyed the surprise, he said he was concerned his wife could lie and keep a secret of that magnitude from him.

Now some people would argue that particular instance was a good lie, if there is a such a thing.

However, I have witnessed people tell some pretty bad big and bold lies. I'm talking anywhere from "I'm not married" to "It's your kid and I know it". And unfortunately, not all of these have been on television.

So what is the biggest lie you have ever told in a relationship? What was your justification for it? Do you believe there's such a thing as a good lie to tell to a significant other?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that lies for the purpose of a surprise/celebration are not really lies. They are omissions of truth for the betterment of a surprise to the SO. But the lie of "oh, I'm not married" when you have the ring mark on your finger or the "I'm 1000% positive that this is your baby" when the kid comes out with green eyes and sandy blonde hair and the dude obvious does not carry those traits are despicable. I mean there's just no justifying that kind of bold face lie.

Anonymous said...

Starting a relationship by lying isn't good at all. The biggest lie I told was that nothing ever happened between my (male) roommate and I. The guy I was dating was REALLY insecure and I wanted to protect his ego.

Sometimes there are good lies (like surprise parties), but you need to know your SO. My friend dated someone who would freak out if ANY secret was kept from him.