Wednesday, August 20, 2008

The dating rule I will never break

Like most things in dating, the rules that surround it are fluid. While one person may say you have to wait three days to call after a date, someone else may say it's OK to call the next day. While some say women should never make the first move, there will be just as many telling women to just ask a man out.

Most of these rules vary from person to person and depend on the particular dating situation. Sometimes I may kiss on a first date; sometimes I may not. Sometimes I may invite a guy to dinner and pay; and, again, sometimes I may not.

However, there is one rule that I always stand by (and advise my friends to do the same): Never sleep with someone on a first date.

This, I have observed, has been the downfall of many potential relationships. This is because instead of having subsequent dates, the two people most likely will have subsequent booty calls. And I guess that's OK if that's what you're looking for, but if you're looking for an actual relationship, this is not the way to do it.

Maybe I'm old school, but I think two people should actually know each other before they hop in the sack, and I'm not talking about knowing that Jose Cuervo is your date's favorite liquor. Before there's a physical connection, there should be an emotional and intellectual connection. If that doesn't exist, and a relationship doesn't seem to be moving forward, there isn't any reason to get physical.

What do you think about sex on a first date? Do you have any dating rules that you refuse to break?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Personally, I would never seriously want to date a girl who has sex on the first date. Unless there's some kind of history there. And, I'm pretty sure that most guys feel the same way. So, good rule.