Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Soundtrack to a break-up

Last night, a friend and I were discussing the music that we choose to listen to when we are going through a break-up or difficult times in a relationship. She's going through one now and has found solace in albums and songs she may not even understood a couple of years ago.

For me, when you are ending a relationship, music can lead to such a great catharsis. I usually opt to put it on blast and indulge in some form of gluttony whether it's ice cream or wine.

Before the I-Pod came out, I owned more than 400 compact discs so here is a list of 10 songs that I turn on when I'm going through a break-up that are probably only the tip of the iceberg.

1. Lesson Learned- Alicia Keys
2. No More Drama- Mary J. Blige
3. The Thrill is Gone- B.B. King
4. Against All Odds- Phil Collins
5. One Last Cry- Brian McKnight
6. Always On My Mind- Elvis Presley
7. Falling-Alicia Keys
8. Giving Up- Donny Hathaway
9. Bringing on the Heartbreak- the Mariah Carey version
10. Love and Happiness- Al Green

So when it comes to your break-up, what music do you listen to in order to get through the situation?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Life Got in the Way -- Sister Hazel

Anonymous said...

I have angry I hate you songs first like "Caught out there" By Kelis
Then woe is me I'm so depressed songs like "Emotional Rollercoaster" by Vivian Green "Till you come back to me" Aretha Franklin. "Unbreak My Heart" Toni Braxton.
The suicidal songs like "My Man is Gone" by Nina Simone "Ain't No Sunshine" and "Who's Lovin You" by the Jackson 5. "I'm Goin Down" Mary J. Blige. "Nothing Compares to You" Sinead O' Connor. "I'd Die Without You." P.M. Dawn.
I'm going to be alright songs like "Be Okay" by Chrisette Michelle or "Irreplaceable" By Beyonce, or "Me, Myself and I"
And then the go back out there and get em songs like "Just Fine" by Mary J. Blige or "Freakum Dress" By Beyonce.

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately, I love sad R&B songs. I made a list with a video of all my favorites which you can see/listen to here: R&B Break Up Songs.

However, to summarize my favorites:
Tony Rich - Nobody Knows
For Real - Saddest Song I Ever Heard
Babyface - With Him
Brian McKnight - 6,8,12
Aaliyah - One I Gave My Heart To

There are so many great songs about break ups. Too many great songs :). Your list is nice too!

BeckiLG said...

I made a break-up CD for a friend years ago, and even without the breakups, it's one of my favorite mixes I've ever made. Definitely useful for a breakup though!

Anonymous said...

i don't do the whole break up songs/mixed tape/playlist thing. But looking at other people's list I see a lot of songs that I listen to regularly or get excited about when they come up on my ipod in shuffle mode. maybe i'm just in a constant state of depression.