Tuesday, July 15, 2008

If it makes you happy, it can't be that bad

My boyfriend and I headed down to the Macon Coliseum on Sunday to take part in the coliseum's 40th birthday bash. I had been wanting to go ice skating there for about a year now, but something always got in the way. With free ice skating and free food there on Sunday, it was perfect for a quick -- and cheap! -- afternoon date.

We got down to the coliseum about 1:45 p.m., but had to wait until 2:30 until they started giving out skates again. In the meantime, we people watched and munched on cotton candy, cake and popcorn. Then we got our skates and hit the ice. I've only been ice skating a few times but as a kid I roller bladed and could hold myself up. But my BF -- he was such a good sport! He'd never been ice skating or roller blading before, and, bless his heart, had a hard time just standing up on the things. It would have been easy to quit and go sit on the sidelines, but he persevered around the rink with me, even though he wasn't having the best of times.

Later, he told me he was sorry our date wasn't romantic because he couldn't skate, but I told him that didn't matter. It was romantic enough that he would even continue trying because he knew it made me happy.

Have you ever done something that you were bad at or didn't enjoy just because it made your SO happy? What was it? Has anyone done that for you?

(PS- Bonus points to whoever can name the artist and song in the headline.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sheryl Crow - If it makes you happy

Anonymous said...

Yay, Anon!

Anonymous said...

The girl I am married to went to Braves games with me in Atlanta for a couple of years before we got married. I thought she loved baseball so that made her just about perfect. Turns out she just wanted to be with me and doesn't like baseball at all. Been married 31 years now and she has not gone to a Braves game the entire time.
We have a great marriage