Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Can you really be mad at the truth?

I'm a strong advocate for honesty in any relationship. Sometimes it may not be the honesty that you always want to hear, but at least you know where you stand.

I think for the most part I'm good at dealing with guys who are forthcoming. If you tell me that you are dating other women, I'm more than likely going to make a decision whether I can deal with that or not and act accordingly. If I choose to stick around, I should not be surprised someone else exists because, guess what, YOU TOLD ME.

So it is kind of frustrating to watch my peers deal with overtly honest guys and get their hearts broken time and time again.

So here are two scenarios where I think this specifically applies:

1) When a guy says he is dating other women. What you said was heard. Nevertheless, that will not stop some women from throwing a fit if they see you at a club or going out to dinner with another woman. But he told you he was seeing someone else, so why are you mad?

2) When a guy says he doesn't want a relationship. This one gets a little sketchy. Most of the time when I hear this from a guy, I see it as knowing what my limits are. Other females that I know don't see it that way. They think that it has a potential to grow into something more. And it could. However, most of the time, it doesn't. But in the beginning, he said that wasn't what he wanted. So when it doesn't happen or at least not with you, why are you throwing a fit?

Oftentimes, I think the true anger is towards ourselves for saying we could handle a situation that we knew deep down we couldn't.

So I ask can you really be mad at the truth?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Oftentimes, I think the true anger is towards ourselves for saying we could handle a situation that we knew deep down we couldn't."

I think you hit the nail on the head. Bravo.

Anonymous said...

I think if a guy/girl says what they expect out of the situation and the other party agrees to it, then really you have no real leg to stand on in your being mad when you see him/her out with someone else or when they tell you for the umpteenth time that you are NOT their girl/boy friend.

But on the flip side, that person who says they don't want a relationship or that they dating other people yet are constantly saying things to the contrary during the course of the "relationship" are wrong. If you truly don't a relationship then don't refer to that person as your "girl" or "man", that sends mixed signals.

And for those who agree to terms in the offset you have to realize that there is only like a 0.0000000000001% chance that the circumstances will change. So don't bet on being that person who will make Johnny or Kim see the light and want to be with you and only you.