Monday, July 30, 2007

When it rains, it pours

That definitely was the case when I drove up to Atlanta last night to catch dinner and a concert with some of my favorite college friends. I swear, I could single-handedly stop the state's drought if I drove up there more often. It seems that every time I go, there has to be some huge thunderstorm tying up traffic and messing up the roads. But I digress.

Dates, like rain, also can run bountiful or dry. And in the case of one of my friends, it's raining men. Three, to be exact.

Last night, somewhere in between the hummus and spinach dip, she related her story to all seven of us at the table, searching for input. She's pretty sure she knows which way she wants to go, which happens to be against most of the advice we gave her. Maybe one of you can break the tie. This is her story. (Names have been changed.)

A few months back, Beth's co-worker, Kelvin, set her up with his friend and co-worker, Earl. Beth and Earl have been seeing each other casually, but Earl doesn't really like going out, so they hang out at home a lot. Beth is a pretty out-going gal, so sometimes she goes to hang out with friends from work. On a recent occasion, she and Kelvin, a very out-going guy who can sometimes be over-the-top, went on a walk outside, and he told her he liked her and kissed her. Kelvin said he set Beth up with Earl because at the time he had a girlfriend and wanted to see Beth happy. Now that his girlfriend is out of the picture, he wants Beth.

To complicate matters, Beth just recently started talking to a man she met at a wedding (maybe they are the best singles events after all). They don't know too much about each other yet, but he seems cool.

So what's Beth to do? She wants to see the guy from the wedding more and get to know him, and she wants to continue to get to know Earl and Kelvin. But Earl and Kelvin are friends. And co-workers. Something about this is not going to work.

Do you have any advice for Beth? How should she handle this situation? Should she drop anyone or keep seeing all of them? What does she say to Earl and Kelvin?

I won't tell you which way she's leaning or my own opinion for fear of biasing your thoughts. At the end of the day, I'll post both our opinions at the end of the comments page.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I def think she should go with the guy from the wedding... Believe me I tried dating 2 co-workers who were also friends, and I ended up losing touch with one of them all together. So I learned my lesson with that one...

Anonymous said...

I think she should stay away from the work-related drama.
who needs that?

Anonymous said...

Go with the guy from the wedding. If Beth likes to go out, it won't be too long before she gets tired of Earl being a homebody. I think Kelvin is a bad choice, because what kind of guy sets up his friend with a girl and then goes after the same girl later? Not a good friend, and not BF material! The wedding guy seems like a lot less drama waiting to happen.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the comments! I know "Beth" appreciates it. She's crafting a response for me to put up later.

Here was my take: I thought that she should forget Earl and go out with Kelvin -- they seemed like a better match to me. While going out with Kelvin, I thought she could still get to know the wedding guy. And then pick whoever she liked better.

However, after reading your comments, I see Kelvin probably isn't that great a choice after all, and if she gets rid of him and Earl, she gets rid of all the drama!

Anonymous said...

I think she should keep things casual and not get into "action" with any of them until she's pretty sure she really likes or even loves one of them. I mean, stay away from the sex and all of that until she's sure, that way she'll keep her head cool enough to think who she likes and what to do next. I know, it's hard, but if you get passionate too early it only mixes up things more and the guys will end up with hurt feelings etc etc...
So that's my advice. Keep things in terms of friends only, sort of.

Anonymous said...

I received this in an e-mail from "Beth" in response to your comments:

Sarah makes a great point- Kelvin certainly seems a bit sketchy when looked at that way! Even if his intentions were good, going behind a friend's back is never the right choice. That makes me think of him in a new light. There are some other details of the story that also make him not so great in my eyes that I won't be broadcasting online, even if the names have been changed.

I'm already tired of Earl being a homebody, but I am the kind of girl who thinks I can change people! He might get a little more of a chance from me before writing him off just for that. We need to talk anyway. I really feel like I should be honest with him right now.
 
As for wedding-guy, so far he's the most attentive anyway.  He's definitely getting a chance, and not just because he's outside of the workplace.
 
Anonymous sums up my plan pretty well though- I don't want to totally write anyone off, but I have absolutely no intentions of becoming too close with anyone until I can look at the situation a little closer. I am just going to do my best to stay calm about it and try to look at all sides of the story! You guys brought some good points up, and I'm definitely taking them into consideration!

Anonymous said...

Good on you Beth... You are the boss :D