Monday, July 16, 2007

What's your status? No, really....

In this great world of Internet networking and dating, Web sites like MySpace and Facebook often offers a glimpse into your life, particularly your relationship status.

However, it can become problematic when one person in a relationship is listed as taken while the other one maintains they are single. It can be even worse if you are engaged or even married.

It leads the honest significant other to question the sincerity of their partner. Worse yet, they may question the fidelity.

Now, a relationship status of single on a Web site does not necessarily mean you are cheating or engaged in an online affair. Or it could mean there's a great need for communication on the actual status in the relationship.

Would you be upset if your significant other was listed as single when you knew they weren't? Should a status on a Web profile even matter? Has this ever been an issue in your relationship?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

My boyfriend and I don't advertise our "status" on our FB accounts - not because we're hiding anything from each other or other people, but because we don't feel it's anyone else's business. The people that know us and care about us know that we love each other - we don't need anyone else knowing to make it more "real" or "official."

Anonymous said...

So personal matters, are you on facebook as being single or in a relationship? I understand if you think it isn't anyone else's business, but if it says you are single, isn't tha misleading to other males and females who may be interested in you guys. Just wondering.

Anonymous said...

I think, if one's going to tick anything, one better be honest. Otherwise, why tell anyway?

Anonymous said...

I'm not listed as anything...I just opted not to fill out the "relationship status" portion, so I don't think it's being misleading.

Anonymous said...

So at the risk of sounding lame, I still am going to share the following story.

When my current boyfriend and I started dating, he told me at one point that he wanted to be in a "facebook" relationship, but I said I wasn't ready. Nonetheless, when I eventually did change my status to be in a "relationship" with him, I had a few terrifying hours hoping he would "accept."

That being said, I would be upset if his status did not match mine -- obviously there is a disconnect or miscommunication in the relationship that needs to be addressed in that situation. And if his status ever changed to "complicated," then I'd definitely start having some fears about it!

Anonymous said...

Your subjects have really become boring. Sorry, I only speak the truth ! Good-bye !!

Anonymous said...

Actually, I've enjoyed the topics lately. I can relate to so many of them. Keep up the good work!!
And to the last anonymous, good riddance!!!

Anonymous said...

No hater here...just stating a fact. I knew I would receive "hate remarks" as a comeback and I was right ! :)))) See ya !

Anonymous said...

Do you have any suggestions for topics you would like to see them touch on?

Pria said...

When I was in a relationship I changed my status to in a relationship. I wanted to honor and respect my relationship with my man. So when it was over I changed it. I believe it a relationship isn't officially "over" until it's announced on facebook. Also it was the least painful way to tell all my friends.