Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Is she off-limits?

We all know you don't date your best friend's ex. But what about your brother's best friend's ex?

Here's the situation: A friend of mine met this woman a few years back, and there was some obvious attraction. For the next year or so life got in the way, as it many times does, and the woman ended up dating my friend's brother's best friend.

Got that? Good ... moving on ...

Well, the brother's best friend cheated on this woman, who rightfully (and smartly) broke up with him. Now my friend wonders if he can ask her out because, in his words, "she's a special lady." (Awwwww.)

I told him to go for it.

Here's why:
1. The ex shouldn't get mad at my friend's brother because he can't control what his sibling does. Plus, the brother always can remind his friend that maybe he shouldn't have cheated on his girlfriend.
2. My friend isn't friends with the ex, so he shouldn't care if the ex gets mad at him.
3. The ex probably already is mad at his former girlfriend (I'm told there was breaking of his belongings involved), so it's not like he can really get any more upset.

Even after wondering how I would feel if my sister's best friend started dating my ex, I still think it's OK. It might be a little weird, but since I don't associate myself with her friends, who cares?

Anyway, bloggers, what do you think my friend should do? Should he go for it? Or should he pass?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If the two guys aren't friends, he should go for it. Why should he miss out on someone special just because his brother's friend used to date her?

Anonymous said...

I say everyone should be able to date whoever they wanted to, and not think if it's right or wrong because of past relationships. That's just rubbish.
Why are people so complicated??