Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Summer love

As we embark on the 4th with the sound of Justin Timberlake's "Summer Love" in my ear, I can't help but recall how some people actually live by this motto.

Whether it's the summer away from home or just the warm weather, some people like getting with, as my friend likes to refer to them, "summer boos." And the person who coined that term always has someone in the summer and oftentimes someone new in the fall, but I digress.

The relationship with the "summer boo" usually starts somewhere around Memorial Day and ends sometime before fall gets in. Like the summer, it demands nothing more than to be light and breezy.

I had a "summer boo" once. It was during a time when I was in high school and was working an internship. We noticed each other three weeks into the internship, started hanging out, had fun and yep, when the internship was over, we said our goodbyes. It was actually a lot of fun and no hard feelings (that I know of).

However, being an adult now, I can't see placing an expiration date on a relationship. If I enjoy a person's company, I don't see why it has to end because the season changed.

Have you ever intentionally entered a summer relationship? What was your reason for seeking a summer relationship? How long did it last? If you've never been in one, do you think you could pursue one?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

There was a time when I thought built-in expiration dates were awesome. There was no pressure to make the relationship go anywhere, and you just got to have fun. Now that I'd actually like my relationships to go somewhere, I see it a bit differently, but for people who just need a break from real life, let the summer love live on!

Anonymous said...

Oh my God!
I have this friend whom I've known for two years now. He had a summer love that started by July 4 last year... only to end before September. And this year he's embarked on another relationship, just now. Let's see how long it lasts!
Although I'm not counting all the flings he's had in between! Hahaha...

Anonymous said...

I think people look to summer love all wrong. First off, its summer luv. A May to September "relationship" is not love, its all about fun (whatever which way you define it). So I say have all the summer fun you like. Its like an extended one night stand. After Labor Day, you never have to think about it again.