Friday, July 13, 2007

Here comes the bride ... to the hospital

At one of the bridal showers I attended this year I heard the following story:

As is typical before most weddings, the groom's buddies took him out for a drunken bachelor's party the night before. The next day, the bride prepares herself for the wedding and arrives at the church only to find out that her husband-to-be got so smashed the night before that he required hospitalization. Needless to say, he wasn't showing up for the wedding. The bride ended up spending the day in the hospital, and the couple eventually got married at a later date.

Since I don't know either member of the couple personally, I don't know exactly how the bride responded. However, I know that if I were in that situation, there would be hell to pay. Imagine all the expenses and planning that go into putting together a wedding. Having to cancel it at the last minute because of a very stupid mistake would be a nightmare. Out-of-town guests would have wasted their time. Reservations for the church and reception would be useless. Flowers and food would never be seen or eaten. "Livid" is perhaps the best word that would describe my state of mind. The thought would probably cross my mind to just call off the wedding all together.

What would you do if you were in this situation? Is this something that you could ever forgive your husband for? How would you react?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This shows his lack of responsibility and a sign of things ahead. I would think long and hard before jumping into this one.

Anonymous said...

Duh !!! That's why you plan the bachelor and bachelorette party a week or two BEFORE the wedding. Not that difficult to figure out !!

Anonymous said...

I agree ! The night before is the wedding rehearsal with a dinner afterwards...no party usually takes place at this point in the game. Enough said !!

Anonymous said...

I am getting married in March and I have already said my fiance better not do ANYTHING stupid. I would be so mad!!! I can't believe she still married him.

Snarktologist said...

If he got so drunk he had to be hospitalized, I'm thinking this bride may have a more serious problem than a postponed wedding - an alcoholic mate.