Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Completely wrong ways to react....

Recently I was talking to one of my old "flames" which is what I guess you could call him on instant messenger. We're having some type of warped discussion about how our relationship operates. Out of nowhere, he writes "what I'm trying to tell you is that I love you." My response: LMAO.

No seriously, I was cracking up. If I had been eating at the time, I would have choked. Now, considering the fact that I know not to take this guy seriously, it was all in jest. Yet, those who know me well know I possibly could react that way if someone was being serious. And that would be just wrong!!!


I know this. I just can't help it. In situations like these, oftentimes the closest thing you can get to an appropriate response from me is complete silence. Yet, I also know other people who have had similar horrible reactions to a showing of emotion: fleeing, a sudden need to clean, hanging up the phone, signing off, outright disappearance (as in leaving the country).

What is the worst way you have reacted to someone expressing their emotions to you? Has anyone ever responded to your emotional outpourings inappropriately

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I was in 6th grade, a guy asked me out on a date, but at the time I was too dumb to realize that was what he was doing because I had never been asked out before. So when he asked if I wanted to go to whatever it was (something I remember not being interested in) on the weekend I just looked at him and said, "Uh, no ..."

Looking back I feel so bad about it!

Anonymous said...

in college, a friend told me he was falling in love with me. my response, "you don't want to fall in love with me. i'm a b*tch."
oops.

Anonymous said...

A guy once told me he couldn't see his life without. My response: What the hell is wrong with you?

Anonymous said...

I think certain situations can make a person uncomfortable or embarrassed, and that's why his/her reactions are can seem callus.

On a side note: great job on the blogs - but can I suggest writing these entries with the same care that you would a newspaper article? I'm not sure if it's just me, but sometimes the composition of these blogs are a little unorganized.

Anonymous said...

...and now I'm a little embarrassed because I didn't catch my typo...

Anonymous said...

OCD -- Thanks for the comment. We'll work on it.

Anonymous said...

Keep in mind though, that the blogs are meant to be a more informal medium (although of course that doesn't excuse bad grammar or punctuation!)

Anonymous said...

Once this guy told me he loved me and I said, "Thank you." There was dead silence....and then I started laughing. I couldn't help it.

Anonymous said...

i have a tendency to stare blankly at people when situations like that arise. or i laugh it off. or i ignore it & quickly & continually change the subject.