Thursday, June 28, 2007

What to do with a gift from an ex

When dating someone, it's only natural that at some point in a relationship you give each other gifts. Some gifts, like movies or blenders, don't really have any special meaning, but others, like jewelry or cologne, can remind you of a significant other every time you put it on.

This is all fine and dandy until you break up. Then what do you do with the present? Maybe it's just me, but when I broke up with my ex, I didn't wear the necklace he gave me for a while. I felt guilty about wearing it, especially after I started dating someone else. My ex obviously had put a lot of thought into picking out the necklace, and it seemed wrong to keep wearing it, especially since I had done the breaking up.

After a couple months, I eventually started wearing the necklace again, not to remind me of my ex, but because I liked it. There didn't seem to be a logical reason not to wear it. It was jewelry, and it matched my clothes. Even so, I still felt like I was betraying my current boyfriend by wearing jewelry from an old one.

Mixed CDs from an ex had the same effect on me. But I haven't had any problems with a blender that was given as a gift.

What do you think is the proper way to deal with gifts once you break up from relationships? Should you keep them and continue to use them? Does it matter what the gift is? What have you done with gifts from exes?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keep them. Consider them the spoils of war.

Anonymous said...

I still wear jewelry my ex gave me. The only item I won't wear is the diamond solitaire, which I keep put away. When we broke up, I walked away with a bed and the dresser and desk that my grandparents gave me, and he kept the rest. I consider the jewelry as reimbursement!

Anonymous said...

It's your things. If wearing them or using them makes you feel weird or sad or any negative emotion, put them away for a while. And if they don't just enjoy them.
I don't see what the problem is really. It all depends on how seeing those gifts makes you feel.