Friday, June 29, 2007

The dog stays

I was recently asked if there was any one thing I wouldn't be willing to compromise in a relationship. My response could have been and probably should have been my integrity, self-respect or pride.

My response: Can't do a guy who would make me give up my pet.

We can get over the hurdles of whether you want to have kids or not or infidelity through counseling. But you either are a pet person or you're not.

Now, you may be seriously allergic to pets and that's ok.

But I'm definitely a pet person, particularly cats and dogs. I've always had a pet in my life and have always been close to them. When I call my family, I ask about the pets. I'm partially basing my decision to get my first house based on the fact that I want a cat and dog.

My loyalty to the furry kind cannot be shaken. I was bitten by a dog once and forgave him. (Can't say the same for some of the men I've dated, but that's for another time.)

Look, my dogs have survived my breakups. They have comforted me when I was upset. And then there's my cat. She just knows my heart. I don't have to do or say anything and she'll come around and won't leave until she knows I'm ok. It's an unconditional love that I have yet to find anywhere else. It's comforting and can sometimes be reassuring.

And I've heard stories from my friends who have volunteered or worked in shelters about pets being abandoned because of relationships. I'm not talking about little puppies. I'm talking about older pets, the ones that are harder to place. It's sad to see people willing to give up years of true friendship for a chance at a relationship.

Are you a pet person? If so, have you ever dated someone who wasn't into pets? If you're not a pet person, what happens when you date someone who is a pet person?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am not a pet person. I don't have pets, and I don't want the responsibility of having pets. (At least not at this point in my life. I like the freedom to not have to worry about animals needing to be fed or taken out.) However, I would not make someone give up a pet they already had to be with me because I know that pets become like children to some people. That being said, I wouldn't argue too much if someone did say he'd give up his pet. If the question is take it or leave it, I'd rather leave it (with another home, of course).

BeckiLG said...

If you can't take my kitty with me, then you won't be taking me anywhere!

I don't know if I'd really be compatible with someone who didn't at least appreciate pets.

Anonymous said...

Love me, love my cat. I got my first cat for my 13th birthday and he saw me through the high school and college dating scenes and my first husband. He traveled the country with me, put up with some strange work hours and finally passed away at 17. My husband held me while I mourned him, then let me get a new cat four months later. They have a love-hate relationship.