Monday, June 25, 2007

Baby mama and potential drama

One of the biggest rumors swirling around the entertainment world recently is that Shar Jackson was impregnated by her ex-boyfriend and father of her two children, Kevin Federline a.k.a. Britney Spears' ex.

Whether it's true or not remains to be seen. But would it really be a surprise if it were true? When you've had a relationship and a child with someone, I suspect the familiarity feels comforting and reassuring, making it all the more easier to return to that romantic place.

This situation brings up an important aspect of dating a guy with children: Is everything over between the guy and the mother of his children?

I personally try to avoid dating guys with children for this reason. The children may be great. However, the children's mother is likely to observe you under a microscope even if there aren't any unresolved issues.

And I often say that if I was to date a guy with children, the child would have to be over the age of five. A younger child would indicate a greater possibility of unfinished business between the two. And that could lead to infidelity, accusations and hurt feelings.

Don't get me wrong. There are situations where no romantic feelings remain and the two just co-parent. But I've seen the messier situations more often than not.

Have you ever dated a guy with children? Were there problems when it came to dealing with the child's mother? Did you fear that the guy would return to her? And for guys, have you been in a similar situation with a child's father?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've dated 2 guys with kids, one cheated on me with his ex and the other didn't. The one who cheated actually bad mouthed and expressed his hate vehemently for her. The other got along with his ex. So now I believe even expression of hate means that he's clearly not over the relationship. I myself have 2 children and my ex and I get along great. We'd never get back together and honestly I've really liked and respected the few woman he's dated that I've met. I trust his taste in women and know that he would not keep someone around that did not treat our children well.