Friday, June 1, 2007

"My friends don't like the fact that I got back with my boyfriend/girlfriend" and.......

....it's all my fault.

At least that is how the quote should usually end.

When an on-again, off-again relationship takes place, the off-season is often used as a time of hurling insults and brutal honesty. When the proper recipient is unavailable, these statements are usually hurled in the direction of a close friend.

Fast forward a few weeks or a few months, the couple is back together and suffering from romantic amnesia. They're all lovey-dovey and the world is great again. That break-up either appears very minute or even vanished.

Unfortunately, the friend cannot be as captivated with the sexy appearance or the great personality that has suddenly returned.

Why? Because the friend has been brainwashed into hating the person (after all you have said) and now cannot return to being happily ignorant of every detail of the relationship. Therefore, the friend has a negative view of the relationship which leads to arguments and slight tears in the friendship.

So, I guess the moral of the tale is that significant other may do things that may be able to win you back, but is that something that they'll be able to receive a good opinion from your friend? If not, you may want to watch it with the venting unless you're sure it's over.

Have you ever engaged in an on-again, off-again relationship your friends didn't approve of? If so, do you think you were the driving force for your friend's opinions?

2 comments:

Pria said...

My best friend had an on again and off again relationship. The last couple of times they were "on" I told her I disapproved but supported her decision. There were a whole lot of things that I didn't agree with and (for the most part) I held my tongue. I let her work her way through it and finally realize he's a loser and be forever done with him.

Anonymous said...

It's sometimes hard to accept, but our friends and family can see things that we cannot see. After all, they are the ones that know us best and have seen us through all the drama. We are usually blinded by our desire for this to be the "right" one and don't want to hear that it might not be. Word of advice, LISTEN TO YOUR FRIENDS AND FAMILY!