Monday, June 4, 2007

Could you suffer from 'sleepsex'?

Do you ever wake up and wonder why your partner is having sex with you? Or why your roommates often ask what you were up to last night, even though you slept alone? If so, you may be suffering from "sleepsex."

Researchers already have looked at people who sleep walk or become aggressive during sleep, and now they're turning their sights to sexual behaviors people exhibit during shut-eye, according to this article.

People who participate in sleepsex, as it's been dubbed, often don't know they're doing it. Only men have been found to engage in actual intercourse while sleeping, but women have been known have sexual vocalizations. Both sexes have engaged in sleep masturbation, according to the article.

"Anything that people do during the daytime, we're realizing they can do during sleep, all the instinctual or basic behaviors," Dr. Carlos Schenck, an associate professor of psychiatry at the University of Minnesota Medical School, said in the article.

Now, I've heard of people falling asleep during sex, but this is a new one. I don't know that I've ever experienced sleepsex, but I think one of my friends may have come close. We often joke that when she sleeps she tends to moan. Maybe there's something raunchy going on in her head, and we just don't know about it.

What do you think about this phenomenon of sleepsex? Do you think it's a legitimate medical problem or just another way for a guy to excuse his behavior when trying to get lucky?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sleepsex? I don't know about that one. If I'm having sex, I'm going to be awake!

BeckiLG said...

I don't know if suffering would be the right term...

Anonymous said...

I call this a "good thing" : ))

Anonymous said...

is this a wet dream?

Anonymous said...

Perhaps wet dreams are included in sleepsex. I think sleepsex is much broader, though.

Anonymous said...

Okay, it might be a medical issue, but I don't think I would describe it as a problem! At least not something that you suffer from ;)

Anonymous said...

I'm a woman of 34 and about four years ago I started having orgasms during sleep. Well actually I wake up in the middle of an orgasm. Most of the times I'm dreaming but not always. And it normally happens when I'm "in need" of sex, you know. A bit like guys I suppose?
I don't think it's so strange! I know of other women who are like this...