Monday, June 18, 2007

"I do" choose to marry without interruption....

This weekend, I learned one of my relatives got married recently. No engagement announcement, no anything. Just up and married.

There was no party or reception. There was no dinner. She is now just somebody's wife.

I'm so proud of her.

She threw the fanfare that surrounds announcing an engagement and having a wedding out the window. She didn't have to deal with worrisome relatives giving opinions about her betrothed, her ring or her ceremony. Nor did she have to deal with the jealousy that sometimes comes from friends and family who remain signal. And she avoided anyone questioning whether she was pregnant just because she was getting married.

Don't get me wrong. Engagements can and should be happy occasions. The same can be said for weddings. Sharing these events with others can sometimes make it even more special.

However, I also notice a lot of burden can be removed without the fanfare.

Did you or anyone you know get married on the sly? Do you think it's wrong not to inform your friends and family of your pending nuptials?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I plan on doing this.
The thought of stressing over a wedding is enough to give me a panic attack!
A small, impromptu ceremony with our families is all i need. simple = better, in my opinion.

Anonymous said...

My grandfather got married "on the sly" last weekend. He didn't tell anyone about it until after the fact. Talk about surprising!

Anonymous said...

I would be terribly hurt if my son or daughter up and married without letting me know. We don't have to have the big "to do"....I just would like to know ahead of time. That's all.

Anonymous said...

why do you need to know ahead of time? is it so you can put in your two cents worth

Anonymous said...

If you want to get married without a big to-do, I think it's still nice to let your immedidate family members and close friends know. I don't think that people want to know about it just so they can put in their two cents. It's about sharing a special moment with the people you care about. Watching a son/daughter get married is like watching them graduate from high school or college. It's another step in the big game of life. Parents are often proud that their children are able to step out on their own in this way. To deny someone who raised you that right is a little selfish.

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Rose. You are absolutely right!

Anonymous said...

i can see myself skipping the whole ceremony and fleeing to some exotic locale and coming back and throwing a lavish reception. actually my family said that they expected me to do it.

i dont know anyone who's done it personally but i do know people who went all out and spent massive amounts of cash on the whole thing and are now going thru messy divorces.