Tuesday, June 12, 2007

I don't like your girlfriend

In Avril Lavigne's most recent song, "Girlfriend," she unabashedly tries to steal another girl's guy:

"She's like so whatever
You could do so much better
I think we should get together now"

And so starts Avril's quest to knock the other girl down and get the boyfriend to run off with her. All's fair in love and war, right? Well, maybe.

When I started writing this post, I thought about how presumptuous it was of Avril to try to steal this other girl's guy. He's with the girl, so he must like her, plus, as far as I know, she didn't do anything to deserve all this from Avril. Girls should not steal other girls' guys. "What a hoochie mama Avril's being," I thought.

Then I realized that awhile back I was in the same position, and essentially did what Avril is doing. I had broken up with my boyfriend and liked another guy who was still seeing this other girl. Basically one night I told him I thought we should go out. He agreed and broke up with the other girl the next day.

So, since I don't generally think of myself as a hoochie mama or boyfriend stealer, I guess I have to say, "Yes, all is fair in love and war." Besides, if the guy really likes his girlfriend that much, a little temptation won't sway him.

Have you ever tried to steal someone else's boyfriend or girlfriend? How did that work out? Is it OK to try to steal another person's boyfriend or girlfriend?

PS - The "Girlfriend" video is pretty funny, so watch it here if you like:

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that "stealing" another person's significant other is a little immature.
If the person you're interested in isn't meant to be with his/her bf/gf, then you can wait and move in after they've broken up.
Otherwise, both parties look a little shady. After all, there is another person involved...

Raven said...

I'm not an advocate of stealing someone's boyfriend/girlfriend, but I also think more responsibility should be placed on the guy or girl you're trying to "steal" who is in a relationship. It's up to them to remember that they are in a relationship and to act accordingly. People often accuse the "other" person of stealing, but it's hard to steal something that isn't accessible.

Anonymous said...

I agree, but the question posed was "have you ever tried to steal someone's bf/gf," not, "have you ever had to choose between two people."

Anonymous said...

I have never stolen someone's boyfriend, but I have sure had guy's cheat on me. Those girls did me a favor. (Carrie Underwood singing) I dug my key into the side of his pretty little souped up four wheel drive, carved my name into his leather seat.

Anonymous said...

I've never tried to steal a guy, but I have had people try to steal mine! With one guy, I wish I had let him get "stolen" long before I actually let him go. But the most recent time was different. After my BF's ex found out he was seeing me, she decided that she wanted him and tried to steal him back!