Monday, April 21, 2008

Leaving the bachelor pad

My boyfriend and I moved into an apartment together this weekend, and when all the heavy lifting was finally complete, we went to Wal-Mart for some post-move items.

While we were there, my boyfriend bought some kind of dwarf tree. I don't remember the exact kind, but the kind with big green leaves that you typically see in the corner of someone's living room, which is where ours is right now.

When his dad asked him the next day why he wanted a tree, my BF said it symbolized the move from his bachelor pad to an apartment where he is responsible for someone other than himself and has other responsibilities, like cleaning more than once every other month.

I thought that was a pretty profound answer. Before, I thought that he just liked trees.

Guys: What was leaving your bachelor pad like? Did you give up/gain anything in the move? How did living with a woman change how you lived?

Gals: What was it like when you decided to live with your SO/spouse? Did he have any habits you had to get used to? Did you give up/gain anything?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bad idea moving in together...Good Luck !!!

Anonymous said...

as a long time property manager.. I can tell ya nothing ends a relationship like signing a lease together..

good luck though... if ya cant live with em', ya cant marry em'... and this lesson is cheaper than a divorce!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the good luck wishes. This was something that I carefully considered. It was not a decision made lightly.

Anonymous said...

Was the tree real or fake? Because if it is fake, then I would worry about the level of his "responsibility."

But if anything, you'll really figure out who each other is...good or bad. The act of moving in together doesn't end a relationship, but it's finally seeing who the other person is and deciding whether or not you truly like that person.

But if your relationship was strong before (i.e. NOT fighting all the time to the point even your friends were like, enough already) then you should be fine.

Anonymous said...

Whether it's a roommate, lover, or a co-worker in the office cubicle, it's the little things that can drive you nuts. I may never get used to whiskers in the sink! Solution: separate bathrooms:)

I was the only one of my brothers & sisters to live with my spouse and I've been the only one to avoid divorce court!

Anonymous said...

Haha, anon #3! It was a real tree!

Apparently my BF's boss gave him a lecture yesterday about him needing to be on his best behavior because my instinct will be to "run for the hills."

I'm not running yet :)

Anonymous said...

And to anon #4: Congrats on avoiding the big "D!" Even my relatively conservative mom has admitted that although she doesn't like the idea of living together, she sees how it might be necessary/helpful in this day and age.