Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Cheating: Does it count when it's all in the mind?

"I broke up with him because he mentally cheats on me. He fantasizes about
other women."

This is the statement that I heard coming from my earpiece on what was
otherwise a rather peaceful afternoon the other day.

The person making the statements was obviously crying and explaining to me
how she casually asked her guy about whether he ever fantasizes about other
women (a question that I believe should remain in the "don't ask" category
permanently). He answered in the affirmative and she got mad.

I couldn't exactly see breaking up with a guy because he has fantasies about
Halle Berry. Now, if he was obsessive about it, that may be another story
and may indicate some other problems. If he was obsessively thinking about
the girl down the street and acknowledged it, then I may have to ponder.

There are those who say any form of thinking about another person is mental
cheating, even if it's recollecting moments from a past relationship. And
some of these people hold the belief that mental cheating is as bad as
physical cheatiing because mental cheating leads to physical cheating. While
I won't deny that physical cheating begins with mental cheating, I also
won't say it always leads to physical cheating. Just because someone thinks
something doesn't mean it will happen.

What do you consider mental cheating? Do you feel that it is a good reason
to break up with somebody?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i don't belive in mental cheating. i think the concept is outrageous. according to mental cheating, my boyfriend could and should break up with me because i absolutely adore wentworth miller? a person whom i have no chance in hell of getting with for various reasons. that is just utterly ridiculous.

Anonymous said...

"There are those who say any form of thinking about another person is mental
cheating, even if it's recollecting moments from a past relationship. And
some of these people hold the belief that mental cheating is as bad as
physical cheatiing because mental cheating leads to physical cheating."


I would like to know what irrational person said that thinking about another man or women constitutes as cheating. I think this is ridiculous, not to mention immature.
There are varying degrees of cheating, including "mental" cheating, which involves sharing intimate thoughts and feelings with a person of the opposite sex in hopes of growing closer to that person.
However, I don't believe that "thinking" about someone else is cause for a breakup, and I have a hard time believing that any rational person feels that way.

Anonymous said...

It does sound irrational, but there are a lot of irrational people in the world.

Anonymous said...

yes, and those irrational people shouldn't whine when their relationships don't work out. they should also quit getting married and having kids, because that's probably one of the reason's the country's divorce rate is so high.