Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Taking a chance on rejection

Sorry for not posting to the blog yesterday. My boyfriend's sister has come to town from out-of-state, and we spent a long weekend in Savannah. I had such a fun, carefree time that updating the blog just slipped my mind.

On the drive back last night, we had a conversation about why some people get dates and some people don't.

Obviously, there is a wide variety of answers that could accompany this question, but we thought we pinpointed it down to one thing: some people try and some people don't. The simple answer is that you have to put yourself out there for rejection in order to potentially get something back. You have to be OK with being just friends with some people. You have to be cognizant of the fact that for every five (or more) people you ask out, maybe only one will say "yes." But when you find that person, weren't the previous rejections worth it?

Of course, just putting yourself out there is not an easy thing to do. There's an (understandable) fear of failure, and it takes a lot of work. You can't just sit back and expect people to find you. You have to find them.

A lot of bloggers comment about not being able to find a date or that Macon has no decent men or women. I challenge them to really think about how hard they are looking.

Perhaps I'm just seeing the world through rose-colored glasses, though, given my current situation. As always, take all presumptuous advice with a grain of salt.

Questions, comments and snide remarks welcome. Have a happy Tuesday!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I probably fall into that category of a person complaining about not finding dates but not putting myself out there that much. At this point in my life though, it's mostly due to work related stress and not being able to find the time. I agree mostly with your post, but I really think it's starts early on in high school and college. For most of us, we were pretty clueless back then and just lucky to hang out with the opposite sex. For some, it went well and their confidence rose, for others they didn't get off on the right foot and now they're still trying to turn things around.

Or, maybe it just comes naturally to some, I don't know.

Anonymous said...

Take off the glasses.

Anonymous said...

I don't think not putting yourself out there is the only reason some people dont get dates. That person may just be down right fugly. But seriously, I do agree that alot of people who complain don't put themselves out there. You're not going to find a date if your constantly sitting in front of your tv on a friday or saturday night. And if & when you do go out you have to be open & receptive to what's out there if you are constantly putting out the "nobody'll touch me with a 10 ft pole blah blah" vibe then really no one will touch you. EVER