Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Nice to meet you. Let's get married.

On my way to an assignment yesterday morning, I caught about five minutes of Star 94's new morning show. The crew was checking in with a couple they had married on their show about a week ago. Prior to getting hitched, the couple had only known each other since Jan. 1, 2008.

Yes, you read that right. They have only known each other since Jan. 1 of this year. That means they only knew each other about two months before marrying. And one of those months was the shortest month of the year!

Some say that sometimes you just know when you meet the right person. I say that's just the quickest route to divorce.

I mean, come on. There's no way two people can really know each other after two months. Lots of people can seem awesome after two months, but after a year you can be ready to dump them. Some things, such as habits (good and bad), morals and long-term goals and priorities, don't really fully show themselves until after a relationship has developed. And, in my opinion, that takes more than two months.

Sometimes a quick marriage may work. But I think overall that's rare, and if you really love each other, there should be no problem waiting to make sure it's really what both of you want.

What do you think about people getting married shortly after they meet? Do you think there's an appropriate wait time for how long couples have been dating before they consider marriage? What are your own experiences?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My best friend actually married after three months of knowing a man. Needless to say, he changed. Before he was going to school, working and turning the world upside down to make my friend happy. After about a month of marriage, he quit school, quit his job and was not helping out on the bills at all. She kicked him out three months later but didn't manage to get a divorce until two years later because she couldn't afford it.

My own parents have married after three months of dating although they claim to have known each other for about a year before that. They love each other and are still together but when they get into arguments - step back. An all-out-brawl is about to happen fully equipped with yelling and pouting.

These two examples from my life has pretty much scared me away from any marriage proposal (I've had one a couple years ago -- when I was 18!!) and now I'm living up the life of a bachelorette as best I can. No need to get married - what's the rush? I have my whole entire life in front of me!

Another thing (since I brought it up) is marrying young. I seriously doubt that anyone knows what's really best for them before the age of 21. They haven't lived yet!

Anonymous said...

I don't know...I think it's crazy to say I love you after a month of dating, but some people do that.

I know one couple who were dating other people when they met, broke up with the significant others to be together, declared their love for each other about a month after they were dating (and like you said, Rose, how can you truly know anything about another person in a month?, and even talked moving in together about a month after that. Marriage has also been discussed.

This couple is still together, but they fight and bicker ALL THE TIME! It really isn't a healthy relationship...but that can be the dangers of moving too fast!

Anonymous said...

I know a couple that moved in together after dating about 3 months & after about 9 months together they got hitched. That was almost 2 years ago. As far as I know they are still married & happy. My only problem with them is that they were so young & had the whirl wind courtship, bride 21 & groom 24 at the time. Personally, I think its kind of fast but if it works, it works. But that's mainly because I never met anyone that I just instamtly knew this person was the one. I do believe that it can happen, but that isnt for everyone.

So what are people supposed to be together for like 5 years before they get married? What is a sufficient dating time? 2 years? 1 year? 10 years? Each couple is different. Some people have been together for 8 years, get married and are divorced like 10 months later. Some meet, fall in love, & marry within a year & their love/marriage lasts a lifetime.