Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Does a key to your heart entitles one to a key to your apartment?

Last night, I was talking to a friend about her current relationship. One issue she said she plans to stand firm on is not letting her boyfriend get a key to her apartment. In her mind, giving a key could lead to possible intrusion. But, to be fair, she wouldn't want a key to his place either.

I really can't blame her because I'm admittedly territorial. I don't even like management coming in for their annual inspections or to clean my carpet. It could also lead to all types of situations where your significant other overstays their welcome. I know I have days where I worked hard and just want to go home and relax and be alone. I would hate to come in and my guy is sitting there doing whatever, or worse yet, invited friends over. A woman's house is and should be her castle.

Also, what happens if you break up. I know we all hope we date a sane person, but what if the person doesn't want to give your key back. What if they turn into some type of stalker? Then you have to go through changing your locks and possibly putting in a restraining order. No one wants to go through that.

Do you believe in giving a significant other should get a key to your place? What factors play a role in making that decision? What happens when you break up?

2 comments:

Pria said...

I think if you are deep into a serious relationship keys can be exchanged. Provided that each party knows how to respect the others space. Call before you come over (unless you're planning on surprising her with dinner). Let her know before you bring your boys over. Remember that it's HER home.

Anonymous said...

Good dispatch and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you for your information.