Monday, October 22, 2007

Where singles mingle

After an anonymous poster wondered aloud last week where all the singles hang out in Macon, I started wondering the same thing.

My initial thought was at El Azteca, probably because that's where I met my boyfriend. I can't speak for all nights of the week, but I know that on Wednesday nights when the restaurant hosts trivia the place is hopping with people flirting with each other.

I also remembered a co-worker telling me that joining various church groups helps introduce you to like-minded people.

Other than that, my well was dry, so I thought I'd ask some locals where they go to meet other like-minded singles. I did this for about 30 minutes until I realized I was doing this during a weekday, so my chances of finding many gainfully employed (ie, date-able) people were slim. Although I have the best intentions to finish my survey at a later date, I'm not sure that I will, so here's what I've found out so far.

(The following answers come from people found on Mercer University's campus, so they're from a young demographic.)

• Bars seem to be the default answer for people seeking dates. Most frequently named were the Hummingbird and Dea.

• One guy said he hung out on Cherry Street when he was looking for a lady.

• Parks, like Tattnall Square or Washington, were cited as places to meet the opposite sex. It is especially helpful if you have a puppy with you.

What are some of the places you find other singles in Macon? If you're in a relationship, where did you meet your significant other?

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

haha the puppy made me laugh. But it is so true! I am a sucker for a cute puppy. Another good place is to walk the ocmulgee trail after work.

Anonymous said...

Sorry to say this but Macon has NO SINGLES TO MINGLE with !!! I left Macon over a year ago and don't regret or miss the city one bit !!!!

Anonymous said...

interesting topic, I'd like to know the answer as well. especially for 30ish young professionals. College is one thing when you're around a lot of people but what about for those a few years older who are past going to Dea? sorry to say but the attractive Macon women seem to be few and far between.

Anonymous said...

The men aren't much to speak of, either.

Anonymous said...

should've said attractive, classy, and intelligent women.

Anonymous said...

I agree the only women in Macon already are baby mamas with baby daddies....losers!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

What "kind of lady" was this guy looking for on Cherry Street?? And was it during the "daytime" or "nighttime" ????

Anonymous said...

this is all well and good if you're in the 20's demographic. what if you're beyond that? and if hanging out in smoke and noise filled bars is not exactly your idea of a fun way to spend an evening? and please don't suggest church groups, mine doesn't have any and the ones that do are not my religious cup of tea.

Anonymous said...

Macon sucks!!!!!! Run Forrest, Run!!

Anonymous said...

This reminds me of an ex friend of mine who relies on myspace for kicks because in Macon "there are no women". He's the biggest flirt ever though. I bet that's why there are no women... left. The loser :)

Anonymous said...

The men in Macon seem to all dress alike....khaki pants and blue shirts! Not very couture. Quite boring actually. And what is it with the messy bowl haircuts? Come on...this is 2007 PLEASE!!!

Anonymous said...

that's why we need a woman to help us dress better. Do you really want a metrosexual who knows all the latest fashions and has a pretty haircut? well, at least I know what's working against me...

Anonymous said...

It's VERY important the way we dress. Remember... "DRESS TO IMPRESSS". You attract the type of person by the way you dress and that goes for males and females !! FIRST IMPRESSIONS REALLY DO MATTER!