Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Somebody has to make the first move

So you like a person and all appearances show that the person has some interest in you.

You make casual conversation. You may even talk regularly on instant messenger or find yourself going to the same outings.

However, no one has made a move in that direction. The problem is somebody has to make the first move.

Oftentimes, being interested is like being at the middle school dance. Boys are lined up on the one side and girls are lined up on the other. Everybody wants to dance and nobody wants to make the first move. Yet, once someone makes the first move, everything falls in line and the dance is jumping.

If you're like me, making the first move depends on the object of affection and intent. Usually, if I see the guy is shy, I'll make the first move. If the guy tends to be the more assertive type, I tend to fall back and wait for him to make the first move.

Now, of course, sometimes, when I make the first move, I get rejected. That's a part of life. Other times, we decide to move in a positive direction, but it just doesn't work out. Yet, when neither one of us tries, I'm going to be left to ponder the "what ifs".

How do you feel about making the first move? Do you find it's better to take initiative or stick with the wait-and-see approach? If you've ever made the first move, how did it work out for you?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If I can tell the guy is interested and he keeps looking and I keep looking, chances are he's going to come over. You just wait on it, but you should look friendly to ensure he does come over. But if it's a situation where you already haven't caught his attention or he's taking too long to come your way, you may just have to go for it. I say practice on guys you aren't interested in by engaging in random conversation just to make you comfortable enough to catch the big fish. As long as you don't come off pushy or desparate, I think men do think it's sexy sometimes to be approached by a confident woman. If they are decent, and don't like you in return, they'd at least be flattered. So don't be too hard on yourself.