Thursday, October 25, 2007

After a certain age and time, time to move out

Before I go into this blog, I would just like to preface this by saying I know that people fall on hard times and some people have no reason to really get their own place because they're never in one place very long (i.e. military men who are constantly deployed). Hey, you may even have to stay at their parents' house to take care of them. That is all very understandable.

However, for the men and women who are living comfortably with their parents because they're being cheap or lazy, it's not attractive. It's just really not. And being cheap is different than trying to save up money for your own place.

And again, I'm not talking about someone who is 18 who may be scared to face the world. I'm talking about 30-something year old (and I've heard of older) men and women who can't cook, clean or do their own laundry and is just fine with Mommy and Daddy doing it for them. The person may or may not have a job, but it still doesn't matter because they likely won't pay rent anyway.

When it comes to dating, most people usually want someone who is near or beyond the level they're at. Living with one's parents, depending on the circumstances, beyond your 20s is a serious sign of regression and may be a sign someone may not be ready for an adult relationship. Why the 20s? That is the time when many of us have started embracing, or cursing, all the responsibilities and privileges that come with being an adult.

On that note, have you ever dated an adult who was staying with their parents? How did that relationship work out for you? For adults who stay with their parents, why are you staying there and does it have an effect on your romantic relationships?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have dated guys who stayed with their parents post-college age and it sucked. I've also dated guys who've had no car in a non-metropolitian city and yes, that also sucked.
Not only did I have to drop him off when we went out, but I'm dropping him off at his mother's! I couldn't get it because I met him at a swanky function, he had great clothes, charming was well-educated and well-traveled. He tricked me. Our first couple of dates, we met at places after work or met for lunch. When we went out it was at the nicest restaurants, and he was well-connected being friends with the right people in that particular city and had a good job and was involved in the community. So when it all comes down to it, I knew he was being a punk ass by not having his own vehicle and living at home. So I guess all of his money went into keeping up apperances. If you have all of that going for you, living at home and having no car can really kill the dream. Damn.

Anonymous said...

I met this guy who was living with his grandma to "help her out". Turns out she was helping him not pay rent! She was ready for him to leave. He was enjoying the free ride. Needless to say...we never dated.