Monday, October 29, 2007

Before tying tubes and snip snip, talk to your partner

I'm a full believer that communication is necessary in a relationship when making a life-altering decision. It's especially of the utmost importance when the decision affects both of you.

That's why when it comes to vasectomies and tubal ligations, I think it's plain wrong to get one without having a discussion with your significant other.

Now, I know some people believe that if it's my body then it's my choice. However, once you get married, that choice affects a lot more people.

Yet, not telling someone that you plan to end your ability to reproduce speaks volumes about a you. Literally, it says you don't want to have a child. However, in a deeper sense, it almost says that you're selfish and controlling. Selfish because you're making a decision that will affect your union forever on your own. That says a lot about what you think of your partner's feelings. And it makes you controlling because you've determined the course of action by yourself.

Do you think the partner should be involved when making such a decision?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think when you're married you give up the right to make decisions that effect the both of you.

Although when you're single...I'm all for getting a snip snip. Make sure your partner knows before you get married though.

Anonymous said...

I think this is a no brainer. Of course a person who truly cared about his or her spouse would not get his/her tubes tied without at least discussing it first.

I don't think there is anything to debate here.