Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Tell a white lie

Truth be told, I could use some help telling little white lies.

When my boyfriend got a -- in my opinion -- horrible haircut, my face said it all. And I didn't pretend to like it either.

"Why did you do that?" I asked him with disdain dripping from my voice.

OK, so it wasn't my finest moment. I know that when I get a haircut I would like my boyfriend to compliment it, even if he doesn't like it, or else I'd feel in the dumps. I imagine my own comments didn't raise his spirits much. And although I feel the need to always say what's on my mind, one expert says white lies aren't all bad, and can actually be good for any type of relationship.

The major difference between a white lie and a hard lie is that a hard lie is said to protect oneself, whereas a little white lie is said to protect someone else. Relationships can be complex and tricky at times. Sometimes a harmless, thoughtful pleasantry is just what the doctor ordered.
Sounds good to me. So what types of white lies are OK? Those that preserve someone's feelings, protect a child's innocence, serve as passing pleasantries or are compliments, according to the expert.

Just a word of caution though: if you really don't like something (for example, a dinner I cook), you better tell me unless you want a repeat. If you talk about how good it is, I'll do it again just to try to please you!

Do you believe white lies are OK or do you prefer brutal honesty? What are some other white lies that are OK? Where do you draw the line? What's the worst lie you ever told in a relationship?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ha...
The problem is some people's idea of what a white lie is is veeeeeery open... As in "I'm not talking to that woman, don't get paranoid"

But just a comment on the other person's look, something to boost their confidence. I think it's ok. :)