Friday, September 14, 2007

You're the best!!!!!

Am I the best kisser you ever had? Am I the best lover you ever had? Have you ever dated someone who treated you as well as I do?

These are questions that have actually been asked in a relationship at some point or another. It places the respondent in a position to have to compare and that is not always a fun feeling. Why? Because it often results in comparing apples and oranges.

You may date someone who is not the best kisser, but the way they make you laugh is priceless. Or a person may not be the best in bed, but they were by your side when your relative fell ill or you were in the hospital. You may have dated someone who gave you diamonds for every holiday, but your current significant other may remember your favorite hard-to-find song and burn it for you.

In the few instances I've had to answer these questions, my response has come off something like this: Obviously, there's a reason why I'm with you. Sure, it's a cop-out, but it works. And frankly, because I'm with that person and not the other person, it makes them, by default, the best overall. If I could find better, I would get it.

How do you respond to these quality questions in your relationship? Have you ever asked these questions and how did the other person respond?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

People ask these questions because they are insecure. The best answer is always: "Yes, you're the best!" Then just move on. People want affirmation of their partner's love. If they're asking, just give it to them. (That is, unless you're asking to start a fight because that's what you'll get.)

Pria said...

These questions are the worse esp. after sex. You just need to protect their ego and quickly change the subject!