Friday, September 7, 2007

Nothing compares to good advice

My friend, Abigail, is great at giving advice. And when she does, it's done so matter-of-factly that you can't help but wonder why you hadn't come to that conclusion yourself.

Take for instance, this piece of advice she gave me about driving in some of the sketchier parts of Atlanta: If you are stopped at a red light at an intersection and don't feel safe, look both ways and run the light. If a cop stops you, tell him how glad you are to see him and explain you didn't feel safe and why. He would have to be cold-hearted to give you a ticket.

Makes perfect sense, right?

Abigail is just as good at giving dating advice, and I consider her my go-to person when men start to confuse me. Here's just one page out of her dating advice book: If a guy asks for your number, she says, go ahead and give it to him. But always ask for his number in return. That way if he calls, and you don't want to talk, you can ignore his call. And above all, never delete a guy, specifically an ex, from your phone. This is for the same reasons as above.

I have heeded her advice and still have the phone numbers of all my exes in my phone. Since in general my exes and I have ceased communication altogether, I haven't had to avoid any unwanted calls, but it's still nice to know I can if need be.

Do you have any friends who you regularly go to for dating advice? What makes that person's advice so good? What is some of the best dating advice you've heard?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your "friend" Abigail needs serious help!! Breaking the law and lying to a cop? Come on !!

Anonymous said...

It's not lying to a cop if you really did feel unsafe. Would you rather get carjacked or run a red light? I choose the red light. Nobody's perfect.

Anonymous said...

I agree with "red light runner". Have you ever heard of LOCKING your car doors and HONKING your horn????....that is one of the reasons they are there in the first place ! Don't play with fire!

Anonymous said...

think about it! running a red light is unsafe in itself!!

Anonymous said...

"Running a red light is NOT a good example for your article inappropriately named "Nothing compares to good advice". I strongly suggest that the Macon Telegraph think about hiring some new writers ! ! Sad but true.

Anonymous said...

wow people, give her a break and get a life.
as a young woman driving around some less-than appealing sides of Macon, I sure have run some red lights!

Pria said...

I don't agree with leaving your exes numbers in your cell. It increases the chance of drunk-dialing. Keep the numbers in your day-planner/PDA

Anonymous said...

if you're immature enough to "drunk dial" an ex-boyfriend, you probably shouldn't be seriously dating someone anyway...