Thursday, June 5, 2008

I'm not staying with you and him

I tend to like to travel and visit my friends quite a bit.

However, as I get older, more and more of my friends are living with their boyfriends.

When I visit my single friends, I tend to crash on their couch or futon. However, when it comes to cohabitating friends, I tend to opt for a hotel or other accommodations,

Recently, I was questioned about this by one of my friends who lives in Atlanta. When she was single, I stayed over whenever I could. Now that her boyfriend lives there, I come over and we hang out. Then I leave.

She got worried that I didn’t like her boyfriend (which is not the case). I just don’t feel it’s respectful for me as a single woman to stay with her and her boyfriend. I also feel that it would bring about a lack of comfort because I would probably worry about things I shouldn’t even give a second thought.

When it was just her, there were no questions of pajamas being too revealing or saying the wrong thing. But that changes when you throw him in.

What do you think about a single woman staying with her friend and boyfriend?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

There was one time when I was staying with my friend, and she wanted me to come spend the night at her boyfriend's house. That was a little awkward, and I told her as much. But I was fine with the three of us staying at her apartment. I think it was a comfort issue for me. I knew her apartment, was familiar with the surroundings and felt I wouldn't be imposing there. Not so at the boyfriend's, whose house I had never been to.

As for people who might want to stay overnight at my and my BF's place, I wouldn't have a problem, and I hope they wouldn't either. After all we have a whole second room with a bed and another bathroom. Why waste it?

Anonymous said...

would it matter if your friends were married? will you never visit your friends when they get married?

Raven said...

I still visit my friends who are in relationships and who are married. This is a question of staying the night. I have actually stayed the night at a friend's home who was married. However, in the time that she was with her guy before they got married, I had gotten to know him and he had gotten to know me to the point where we were both comfortable around each other.

Pria said...

I have a general rule not to stay over at a friend's house if they live with their boyfriend/husband. As a single girl it's on of those "rules" that you have to live by.

If I had a boyfriend I'd probably would stay.

Anonymous said...

i guess i just don't understand how being a "single girl" and not staying at a married couple's house is breaking a "rule."

i think a dose of maturity is needed...

Anonymous said...

i definitely understand not staying at a friend's place...whether they are married or not. i am someone who cannot stand to impose on people, but i love having people stay with me. in cases where i would be subjected to staying with a friend and her boyfriend, i would rather not, but that is just a personal opinion. it personally makes me feel uncomfortable. if all parties are ok with it, go ahead. i think this one is just a personal decision.