Tuesday, June 3, 2008

I know your intentions are good...

But seriously I am doing O.K. by myself.

Since I moved to middle Georgia, I have found myself surrounded by married women or women who are in good relationships. And that’s all well and good- for them. And they want me to be just like them.

My dating luck in middle Georgia really hasn’t been all that great. I’ve been out a few times here and there, but the chemistry was just never right.

So my friends who are very happy in their situations are constantly trying to hook me up whether it’s their sons, brothers, guys at their church or guys at their jobs.

The interesting thing is I have a male friend who has the same problem among his male friends. He’s the only completely single guy and they’re trying to get him to settle down.

Our groups of friends often intermingle so of course they have decided that the solution is to try to bring the guy and myself together. He and I have discussed this and it’s just a no-go. But we’re still friends.

So we both find ourselves trying to get our friends off of our backs.

Have you ever been in the situation where your well-meaning friends kept trying to hook you up? How do you go about handling it?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think its human nature for people who are happy to want to see their friends and family happy too. The same also goes for people who are miserable, but thats another topic. I think that the people who are happily married or happily committed need to realize that some people can be happily single. So for all those out there who are activley (and some times too aggressively) trying to set up your single friends think about this. Has said single friend asked to be set or constantly complains about not finding any good prospects? If so, then by all means fix them up to your heart's desire. If not, then let them be happily single and ever ready to mingle.

Anonymous said...

Maybe you need to explain the concept of "happily single" to them. For some odd reason, most of the mainstream doesn't think this is possible.

Another thing is to make sure your friends know exactly what you are *not* looking for. My friends have not tried to set me up because they haven't found anyone they think is right for me. They know me (they know my exes) and I trust their judgement... most of the time.

Obviously, these people don't know you very well or you're not projecting a "happily single" image.