Thursday, June 19, 2008

Do first dates always flop?

There's no such thing as a good first date, or so says my boyfriend.

His reasoning? Usually both people are so nervous that conversation's not that great. As a result, the pair ends up sitting there staring at each other in awkward silence wondering why there's nothing to say. Obviously, this doesn't hold true for people who begin dating after they have already developed a friendship. But it is the case for people who only know each other by acquaintance or who are on a blind date. In fact, it's for this reason, he says, that people despise blind dates. They're all awkward first dates, so of course they're awful, he says.

If you can't already tell, he believes a second date is a must in truly figuring out if you're compatible with someone.

Me on the other hand, I'm not so sure it's that cut and dry. While I agree that, yes, first dates are absolutely awkward, I don't agree that automatically translates to awful. Even with all the awkwardness, you still get clues about your attraction and chemistry with the other person. I've been on first dates that include smiles and laughs, alongside the nervous butterflies and sweaty palms. They definitely were not awful. To that end, if a first date sucks, most likely the guy's not getting a second chance.

Do believe all first dates are bad? What was the best/worst first date you've been on? Do you believe in giving second chances if a first date totally flopped?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know about you, but if all of my first dates were bad, I wouldn't have a second.

I've never been on a bad first date.

Anonymous said...

I know at least two couples who were set up on blind dates who eventually got married.

So I wouldn't classify all first/blind dates as bad. As long as you try to relax a little, they can be fun!

Anonymous said...

i think if a first date is bad but you can chock it up to nerves on both parts then maybe a second date is warranted. but if the first date was bad because the other person was a complete jerk or ditz and was offensive to their date or there was just no chemistry, then yeah no second chances whatsoever.