Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Tattoos

When it comes to romantic relationships, I'm all for expressing your love for your significant other.

However, when it comes to tattoos, I just cannot advocate the effort.

Mind you, I do have a tattoo and I remember everything about the day, from where I went to who went with me to what I ate before I got it.

So when I hear of people going to the tattoo shop together to get matching tattoos, especially those who have only been in a relationship for a short time, I cringe a little. That's because I know that if the relationship ends, the tattoo will be a constant reminder of a failed relationship.

Worse yet are those who get the person's image or names inked on them. You will never be able to forget the person if the relationship ends. And just imagine explaining it to future significant others. I'm certain it is a bit of a turn-off.

My thing is, for the most part, tattoos are permanent. Relationships rarely are.

What do you think of getting tattoos with your partner or with your partner's names on it? Have you ever done it? Do you regret it? Do you think it matters whether or not you are married to the person?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Personally I think its foolish to get names tattooed on your body, especially that of a significant other. Tattoo artists are always saying that 85% of couples who come in to get their SOs name on them break up within months. So go ahead and get Billy's or Jenny's name on your upper arm or back of your neck, cause you'll just more than likely end up covering it up or looking at it with regret for the rest of your days