Tuesday, May 13, 2008

The rules to calling

This past weekend, I was reminded of one of my greatest pet peeves about dating.

While I was hanging out Saturday night, I ran into this guy I had met at an earlier event. He seemed like a pretty nice guy. We danced a little and he asked for my number. I gave it to him.

By the time I got home that night, he had left me a voicemail and found me to add as a friend on Facebook. And all of this was before I went to bed. I was a little taken aback by the whole timing.

When I give my number out at night, I definitely don’t expect to hear from the guy earlier than the next day. If it’s any earlier than that, I’m likely to think you’re either desperate or you want something from me.

My general rule when I just met a guy and give him my number is not to talk to him the next day. However, I know I have friends who have their own rules for when they should receive a call which range anywhere between 24 hours and three days.

When it comes to giving out your number, how much time do you believe should go by before you receive a call?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember a time that I went on a date with a guy, and by the time I was getting into bed, he already had left me one voicemail, an instant message and a facebook invite. Overzealous or desperate, I'm not sure which.

Anonymous said...

You'd be complaining if they took too long to call, too.

Just be happy someone does call.

Anonymous said...

Agree with anon, 100 percent

Anonymous said...

I'd say same night is creepy, especially if the message comes before I've gotten home, but 2 days max. The anticipation is part of the fun!

Anonymous said...

I think that if it's a guy and he calls to see if you made it home okay after the event is kind of nice and he jokes about the calling too soon rule, it's sweet. But that's the only exception. He doesn't need to leave you a bunch of messages and google you.

Anonymous said...

To call or not to call?
There is only a 1 in 8 chance that a first date will call you for a second date after 24 hours, revealed a survey by matchmakers It’s Just Lunch. But say you do like the person, then what? Here’s what a 2006 survey by Match.com revealed: On the ladies’ side, 49 percent of women never call or they expect the man to call first; 20 percent of women call two days later, while 15 percent call the next day. Of the guys, 45 percent call the next day, 32 percent call two days later, and 14 percent call three days later

Anonymous said...

I personally get turned off by a guy who calls me within 48 ours of me given him my number. I recently had a guy call me minutes after I had given him my number. Minutes! Unless I really liked the guy I wont ever return the call or pick up if he calls within the first 48 hours. I just think you seem to hard pressed, desperate even.