Monday, May 19, 2008

"I do" at a later date

This year, I’m scheduled to be in one wedding and attend two more.

The bright side of all of these weddings is that the bride and groom need not worry about the other person backing out. Why, you may ask?

Because all of these couples are already married.

One couple got married three years ago and didn’t want to have the big event until the bride finished getting her second degree. The second couple got married prior to the groom’s deployment overseas. The third couple just wanted to get married and figured they wanted the ceremony after they saved up enough money.

The one thing I must admit that I like about going to weddings for married couples is the reassurance that a wedding will likely take place. I’ve seen enough called-off engagements happen up to just three weeks before the wedding. So forgive me if skepticism sets in when I open the engraved invitation in my mailbox.

However, one of my acquaintances says having a bigger ceremony down the line is being selfish. To him, it’s just a waste of time considering the action has taken place already.

What do you think of couples who wait to have the ceremony after they have gotten married? When a couple has been married for awhile, do you believe it makes the event any less significant?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think its lets likely that the bride will go all "bridezilla" if the couple is already married. Being married already and than having the ceremony take most if not all of the pressure off. I've seen a bride who didnt even really flinch when the seamstress flaked on the dress because she already held the real ceremony a month prior in Hawaii. And I've also witnessed true & total break downs from dress disasters less than 2 weeks until the aisle walk. So if you want a fuss free big event run & get married beforehand.