Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Not quite perfect

As I get older and more realistic about life and men, I realize that nothing nor no one is 100 percent perfect (myself included).

This means that no man will live up to my ridiculously high standards that were created by the movies. This means that I will have to accept flaws in men and love them anyway.

It's OK if he doesn't clean as well as I would like, if his eyes aren't the right color or he's not tall enough. It's also OK if we don't like all the same music, movies and television shows. These things are ancillary. Of course you need some common ground, but liking all the same things is not necessary.

This does not mean that I will lower my standards. The most important criteria in a man will still stand: must be employed, must be loving and caring, must be good with children.

I'm sure a lot of you have come to this realization already. What I'm wondering is: what is an adequate amount of living up to someone's standards of a perfect guy or girl? Is it as high as 95 percent perfect, or as low as 60 percent perfect? How far up on your list of perfect does a guy or girl have to reach for that person to be considered perfect for you?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How's that living together thing going?

He/she may not be perfect because no one is, but if they are perfect for you, then there is no need to put it in percentages.

I can't imagine saying my SO was 79 percent perfect. That's terrible.

Anonymous said...

Compatibility is finding the person that pisses you off the least. You'll take 30% perfect if it means their bad habits don't irritate you.

Unfortunately, this is easier said than done.

Anonymous said...

Anon. --

Living together is going well! It was a little bumpy at first because we had different ideas of how things should be done, but after consulting with a friend who has lived with her boyfriend for about two years, I have regained my sanity, lol.

Her advice was this: choose your battles, accept what you cannot change and realize that just because something is different, that doesn't mean it's wrong.

So far, so good :)