Friday, February 29, 2008

Couples therapy

While watching one of my favorite romantic comedies the other night, "How To Lose A Guy In 10 Days", the subject of couples therapy came up in a scene where the lead male character was trying to salvage the mess created by the female lead character.

As the title implies, they had only been dating a week, so the realistic side of me was thinking it was a little too soon to be dropping dough to solve problems in a barely there relationship.

But I couldn't help but wonder how deep do you have to be in a relationship to think going to a counselor would be a valuable investment.

I've never done it, nor do I know anyone who has gone through couples counseling, but I think the concept is great. You're confronting your issues with the person you have the problems with and there is an objective third party present.

Have you or someone you've known participated in couples therapy? How was the experience and what came from it? Would you suggest couples therapy to other couples?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Couples therapy is only for relationships worth salvaging. If you have disagreements in a dating, non-marriage, relationship, I say just let that relationship go.

(BTW, I LOVE 'How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days'!)

Anonymous said...

So only marriages are worth salvaging?

Anonymous said...

Wow...disagreements are cause for breaking up?
good luck in your relationship!

I think couple's therapy can be really good for people who considering marriage, not just for people who are married.

That way the couple can determine if the relationship there are in is suited for marriage. I'd rather spend time in therapy before the marriage than during.

Anonymous said...

I believe couple therapy is a great idea!! It is required in alot of religions to take pre-marital classes before the church will even marry the couple.