Monday, February 4, 2008

Great date, then cold shoulder

Sometimes it's fairly obvious a date is going nowhere.

There's a lack of conversation, a lack of chemistry and all you can think about is how you want to go home and take a bubble bath at the end of the night. It's not shocking at all when you awkwardly hug goodbye and never hear from the other person again.

But other dates seem so optimistic. The conversation is equal and fulfilling, you look dreamily into each other's eyes and feel a rush of adrenaline when it's time for a good night kiss. With such a good first date (or even second or third), you just know you'll receive a phone call soon. That's why it's so devastating when you don't.

Many daters have had great dates but no call backs, leaving them to wonder what went wrong and why they suddenly are receiving a cold shoulder from someone who they thought they connected with.

There are basically two ways to deal with such a situation: put the whole date (and person) out of your mind and chalk it up to experience or call the other person yourself and ask what happened.

More likely than not, forgetting the date is probably the best way to go. Most of the time, a lack of a phone call means that, for whatever reason, this person is not interested. But there are those slim chances that the other person lost your number or is really too shy to dial the digits.

From there, the burned dater just has to decide if it's worth possible embarrassment to find out why a person didn't pick up the phone.

How do you deal with getting the cold shoulder after what seemed to be a great date? What are some reasons someone might not call, even if the date was good? Do you have any personal experience on either side?

1 comment:

Stacey K said...

They could be too shy or they don't have the time to dial your awesome digits. Most likely though, they're avoiding you.

I once had this date with a very religious man. During the whole thing, he was preaching to me. Afterward, he gives me his bible and tells me that I should read a few passages and then on the 2nd date, I should tell him what I think. Right then and there, I was completely turned off. I remained in contact with him but practically blew him off every time if he asked me to go on another date.

So let's see... if I was in the same position and had a great date then never received a call back... I would probably wait about a week then call. I would say something like, "Haven't heard from you in awhile and just wanted to touch base with you. How about a beer tomorrow night?"

If he refuses, I'll let this one go. If he accepts, then maybe he was just too busy and I'll give him another shot.

(Sorry for the long reply)