Monday, February 25, 2008

Realizations made post-Oscars about relationships

I'll admit it. I do not watch the Oscars. I watch the pre-show to see what people wore and who people brought. I'll watch the post-show to see who won, who lost and who bored everyone with their acceptance speeches.

One thing I noticed is how the event is always a big partner swap. Throughout the pre-show coverage, it is not uncommon to make the statement "I thought he/she was with......" I always seem to ask that question about George Clooney.

And it's always such a cordial affair. Either the old flames just say hi, actually greet each other like they care or avoid each other. In the real world, I'm almost certain there would be a lot more tension. But then we are talking about a place where the suggestion of not dating someone you work with falls on deaf ears repeatedly. With some people in Hollywood, it seems like whoever their co-star is in their latest project, that's their co-star in real life.

Also, if you forget to mention your husband in the acceptance speech or it takes you a moment to think to mention him, there's a problem. Just ask Chad Lowe (former husband of Hilary Swank) and Eric Benet (former husband of Halle Berry).

Another thing I love to see year after year is how often people are referred to as the significant other of their more famous half. It takes you back to the days when women referred to themselves as "I'm Mrs. John Doe." However, at least there's gender equality in Hollywood with that one. Just ask the former Mr. Halle Berry and Mr. Hilary Swank.

Am I the only one who notices these things? Are there some things you think I left out?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yes, i believe you are one of the few who had time to notice.