Thursday, February 7, 2008

Is there ever a right time to announce you've broken up?

I've been there. Most of my friends have been there.

You've been in a relationship for awhile and you and your partner decide that it's just not working. So now, you're technically single, but depending on many factors, you may not be ready to move on.

I've actually been known to let a couple of weeks go by before I let people know I've been through a break-up. I honestly need some alone time where I can meditate on what happened and figure out where I'm at.

However, I know some women (and men) who, the second they are out of a relationship, are either on the phone crying to their friends or out partying like it don't stop.

In this world of MySpace and Facebook, the announcement is even less subtle. How many of us don't notice the updates that say "is no longer listed in a relationship." It may give a suitor who has been wanting you indication that they have a chance.

And let's not forget that slim chance that you and the person you were dating may decide that maybe it wasn't so wrong after all. So now, you have to explain to everyone that you're back together and if you break up again, friends will look at you sideways.

So is there ever a right time to let people know you've broken up with somebody? When is it? What factors do you think come into play?

2 comments:

BeckiLG said...

People are going to know pretty fast because I'm going to need to talk about it. Thankfully I don't (or didn't) list my latest ended relationship on facebook, takes away the big announcement that its over:)

I don't need a huge announcement to the world that I'm single again, but sure the people I know and love will know within the week.

Anonymous said...

I usually tell my close friends and family first. Beyond that, if people ask about that person, I just say, "we're not together anymore."