Friday, November 2, 2007

Why get married?

To quote a recent statement by one of my friends: Marriage was a sacred institution.

Ok, maybe that was a little extreme, but I've been reading more columns and hearing more people question the need for marriage in a relationship.

Some have said it has no purpose, especially for those who are not highly religious. Marriage is a fundamental part of most religions and therefore, creates no need for people who are not religious to engage in it. Or so the argument goes.

Others note that marriage comes with financial and insurance breaks, but even some insurance companies are acknowledging "domestic partnerships".

And then there's the whole children argument, but there are single women opting to adopt and checking out their local sperm banks. And as we have seen on this blog, finding an eligible member of the opposite sex that you're willing to have a child with is not as easy as it seems.

And then let's not forget how many people out there have lost hope in fidelity. If you listen to some people, everybody cheats. No one can be with anybody for a long time without cheating. So, to them, the second the vows are made, the partners have already told their first lie.

I honestly believe that at the very least marriage is a long-standing (read forever) social contract between you and your partner where you commit to loving and caring for only each other through good times and bad. And, unlike dating, the community acknowledges and in most cases, celebrates it with you.

So today's question is simple. Why should people get married?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I believe that marriage "was" sacred as well, and I think that it's up to those who believe in the instituion to stress the importance of the union so that it can become sacred again.
I think marriage is very, very important to families and communities, as it instills as sense of commitment and unity that only marriage can create. If we raise children who come from voluntarily unwed homes, then that teaches them that commitment isn't important anymore - that they can come and go as they please as long as it makes them happy, and I don't believe that is doing anyone a favor.
Granted, I understand that some situations call for children to be raised in single parent homes, and I admire men and women who choose to raise their children as best they can in that situation. However, I believe that the ideal home-life for a child is with two loving parents who are unified in marriage.

Anonymous said...

I believe marriage is a great way to show outsiders that you are commnitted to your family. I don't think it's ok for hetro people to disallow homosexual people to get married. Until they are able to I refuse to marry

Pria said...

I don't see the point in getting married. People don't take the committment seriously enough. It's too easy to get a divorce.

I don't believe in getting married "for the children". Why drag them through the BS?

Anonymous said...

I got married because I wanted to, not because I was "supposed" to. My husband and I were committed before we got married, and nothing has changed since the wedding. The only differences are that I have a different last name and we have a piece of paper saying we are married.

As far as being married just so your kids have two parents at home, I disagree. If the couple is not happy, the kids will know. Besides, staying together until the kids are grown is crazy for other reasons. Some of the people here have problems finding dates in their 20s and 30s, so how easy do you think it's going to be in your 40s or 50s? You are the person that is going to have to deal with it then, not the kids. They will (hopefully) be off living their own lives, not worrying about their parents!

Anonymous said...

I would not go as far as not trying it because i did.But the truth of the matter is i really,really beleive that almost 99.9% of people cheat."so why get married"I have a lot of family and friends and including my relationship have been cheated on or have been the cheater and i don't think people realize how many people are doing that these days and time.So i say just kick it with them and move on.